Monday, October 11, 2010

Why We Read Aloud

Fall quarter has begun! I'm one week into my college and elementary classes and am feeling that joyous stress of syllabus overload. After sifting through all the different assignments and readings, I have found solid footing and am feeling prepared to face the rest of the quarter.
In one of my readings this week, The Intermediate Grades by: Gay Ivey, it discusses the big question as to why a "teacher read aloud" is important. There are more reasons than the warm and fuzzy ones to encourage a read aloud. They offer many learning opportunities for students. Students are usually very engaged when a teacher is reading aloud to them. It allows them to hear a book they may not be able to read themselves and allows the teacher to "sell" the book to the student. As the article says most people, kids and adults alike, will be unwilling to pick up a book they know nothing or little about. However, if a teacher reads the first couple chapters to a class, the bait has been set and you are likely to have peaked some of the students interested in the book.
I have been in a 4th grade class this past week, where the students take turns doing daily book reports. These reports represent the kids own version of a read aloud. It offers the "hook" to other students to want to read the book. It has also proven to be a hook to me, as I have purchased 4 books so far, based on the recommendations of the students. I feel it is important to stay knowledgeable of the latest books that the students are reading, so that I will be able to recommend a book that goes with the interest of each individual student.

No comments:

Post a Comment