Monday, January 10, 2011

New quarter, new day

Winter quarter has begun. This quarter I am taking another math course. This course is geared towards 5-8th grade math, and how you would teach it. During my first class we worked on several different word problems. Our goal was to find a formula to solve these problems. The thing I found the most interesting about this activity was that there were so many different ways to solve each problem. When presenting these types of questions to a classroom I could see myself stepping in when the students seem stuck. It has been hard for me not to do this. I have had to instead make sure I am coming up with good questions that make the students think deeper. How can I make sure I am asking the right questions to keep the students thinking? Clearly if I can't make sure I'm asking deep questions than the students will not be willing to investigate on their own to learn new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment