My math course is coming to an end. The time has come to look back at what I have learned throughout the course. The most valuable thing that I will take away from this class is that every student learns in a different way. The more opportunities you have in your back pocket to be able to explain a concept the better. We all have our own unique method of viewing problems.
This was made clear to me when we had to duplicate the shape of a giraffe out of manipulatives. Thinking it would be a piece of cake, I struggled through it while others at my table finished it in moments. They were able to see the pieces differently than I did. Which allowed those who may have not normally been the first ones to finish a problem, now be the first done. We need to give these types of opportunities to our students in our classrooms.
Every student in math deserves a chance to shine. This class has provided so many new ways to look at math problems. The Lattice multiplication box was an example of showing an additional way to solve a multiplication problem. Various websites like gapster provide new ways to introduce math to students. The need to be creative and deviate from text book, at times, allows students to find their just right niche.
No comments:
Post a Comment